Algoma Steel Inc.
For over a century Algoma has a proud history and strong traditions of being an industry leading manufacturer of hot and cold rolled sheet steels in carbon and high strength low-alloy grades and we are Canada’s only plate producer. We are integral to the making of many of our modern day buildings, products and appliances. Our steel is used in construction, mining, manufacturing, automotive, shipbuilding, energy resources including renewable energy and military applications throughout North America. Today’s steel industry is rapidly evolving and so are we, bringing new products to market that our customers need for their success. We are inviting everyone who has a talent and drive for superior performance, a desire to be part of a team of steel industry professionals focused on transforming our company to continue our century long tradition of delivering high quality steel products to our customers, improving the quality of life for our community, demonstrating industry-leading environmental stewardship and providing rich and rewarding careers for our employees.
The End User Computing Specialist role will provide solutions and support to a wide range of products at Algoma Steel Inc. including but not limited to PCs, laptops, tablets, printers, mobile devices, and collaboration/video systems. The successful candidate will support the client software on devices and develop planning for reliable, secure, and cost effective solutions long term. This encompasses operational technologies and information technologies. The person will ensure the stable operation of Algoma’s critical computer environment as well as install, configure, maintain, and support other business systems. When troubleshooting, the successful candidate will analyze and resolve related problems in a timely and accurate fashion. As a member of our Information Technology team, you will be interacting with Technical and Non-Technical personnel. The successful applicant will be assigned to Information Technology and Business Process Improvement department and report to the Manager – Information Technology Infrastructure.
Accountabilities & Responsibilities
Strategy & Planning
- Develop and execute planning for long term end user computing solutions for business and operations.
- Budget for equipment and installation costs.
- Develop, implement and maintain policies, procedures and associated training plans for end user deices and software.
- Establish service level agreements with end users.
- Plan for improvement of end user computing solutions – reliability, ease of use, functionality.
Acquisition & Deployment
- Conduct research on new technologies.
- Establishes device specification requirements based on user base needs, keeping standardization a priority.
- Inventory, install, and configure devices for use cases ranging from legacy operating systems and applications to leading edge solutions.
- Create projects that are designed to either add functionality required by the company or to address ongoing issues.
- Create expense authorization requests, bid specifications and purchase requisitions in support of procurement and development efforts
- Interact with vendors, outsourcers, and contractors to secure products and services.
- Manage all end user assets, including but limited to PCs, laptops, tablets, printers, mobile devices, collaboration/video systems.
- Manage licensing, maintain and support software packages across the organization.
- Maintain procedures for administration and recovery of critical assets following industry best practices.
- Manage end user security solutions including firewall, anti-virus, intrusion detection and breach prevention systems
- Develop methods and tools to be used to quickly implement new equipment or recover failed equipment.
- Define end user policies and procedures
- Test, evaluate and install equipment enhancements
- Implement secure network access protocols and monitor and evaluate them for issues
- Administer all equipment, hardware and software upgrades.
- Troubleshoot equipment and software problems and ultimately enhance performance for users via performance tuning
- Perform security audits.
- Perform system backups and recovery.
- Provide guidance to junior members of the team.
Qualifications & Experience
- Bachelor Degree in Computer Science / Electronics Engineering / related field of study or equivalent college diploma.
- Minimum 5 years hands-on experience in all areas of end user support .
- Experience with installing, configuring, and troubleshooting operating systems (98, 2000, XP, Vista, 8, 10, Windows server (NT to 2019, Linux).
- Experience with management and configuration of mobility devices (IOS), and MDM.
- Experience in recovery solutions (Ghost, WDS, Netbackup, Manageengine Desktop Central).
- Experience with Microsoft office productivity solutions
- Exceptional analytic and troubleshooting skills.
- Industry-recognized training and certifications are an asset.
- Experience of working in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
- Experience of working in a 24 x7 manufacturing industry environment is desirable.
General Skills & Abilities
- Good documentation and record keeping skills are essential
- Good written and oral communication skills.
- Good interpersonal skills.
- Ability to conduct research into networking issues and products as required.
- Ability to present ideas in user-friendly language.
- Highly self motivated and directed.
- Keen attention to detail.
- Proven analytical and problem-solving abilities.
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment.
- Strong customer service orientation.
- On-call availability outside normal work hours, as required
- Sitting or standing for extended periods of time
- Protective gear may have to be worn in certain locations
- Dexterity of hands and fingers to handle or operate IT equipment, power tools, and other components
- Occasional inspection of cables in floors, ceilings, basements and conduits may be required
- Lifting and transporting of moderately heavy objects, such as IT equipment and peripherals.
If you meet the qualifications for this position and are committed to a challenging career with a dynamic company, in a community that offers superior quality of life, we encourage you to apply today.
To learn more about our company, please visit www.algoma.com
We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage diversity in our workplace. Accommodation is available for applicants with a disability. We thank all applicants for their interest however, only those candidates that are selected for an interview will be contacted.