Sault Ste. Marie Innovation Centre/Acorn Information Solutions
Located at the heart of the Great Lakes, Sault Ste. Marie is a beautiful waterfront city with a population of approximately 75,000. “The Sault” is rich in history, culture and adventure, boasting unmatched world class outdoor experiences throughout all four seasons. Surrounded by beautiful landscapes, uncrowded and peaceful spaces to work and live, Sault Ste. Marie provides a “home” experience with endless opportunities to discover. Acorn Information Solutions (Acorn), a division of the Sault Ste.
Marie Innovation Centre (SSMIC), has become a pioneer in sharing, integrating and analyzing public information and data to improve performance and efficiencies. Using location intelligence/GIS
technology and software development, Acorn creates innovative solutions with award winning models that create safer, healthier and more prosperous communities. Be a part of our amazing community
and organization; join our team.
TYPE OF EMPLOYMENT: Permanent
HOW TO APPLY:
Please submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Sault Ste. Marie Innovation Centre’s Acorn Information Solutions department is seeking a Senior Municipal GIS Technician / Analyst to support SSMIC’s Acorn Information Solutions Group. This is a permanent position.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Prepare, maintain, update, convert and analyze digital spatial data and associated databases related to municipal / utility GIS solutions
• Undertake GIS strategic planning projects
• Perform QA/QC tasks to ensure GIS data integrity
• Liaise with municipal and utility staff or external consultants to capture, convert and maintain data and perform custom data analysis, provide map products and deliver user training and user support
• Researching, acquiring and processing data to create reports, charts and maps
• Creating aesthetically-pleasing, easy to read maps for use in reports and presentations
• Creating and maintaining spatial and tabular information using a variety of software
• Field data capture
• Performing spatial analysis and geoprocessing tasks
• Developing process automations to improve efficiencies in data capture and analysis
• Develop process documentation including standard operation procedures, processes, workflows, queries and GIS product development
• Stay current with GIS data management and GIS technologies and skills
• Writing and editing professional reports for clients
• Creating and administering presentations
• Work with internal staff and external clients to develop mapping and/or data focused projects
• Assist to scope project efforts
• Assist with data standards
• Any other duties or special assignments as requested by the reporting Supervisor
SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS:
• Seven years’ experience in municipal and utilities GIS including water, wastewater, electric, transportation, land base, public works, engineering, planning and administration data.
• Bachelor’s degree in Geography, Computer Science, Engineering or Planning with a GIS specialization or post-graduate certificate in GIS
• Membership in an approved related professional association.
• Advanced knowledge of GIS principles and use of ESRI’s software, particularly tools related to creating and editing municipal and utilities data
• Extensive experience with ESRI geometric networks
• Demonstrated skills in spatial and non-spatial data management
• Skills and experience in GIS strategic planning
• Solid understanding of cartographic principles and visual communication through mapping
• Knowledge of relational database systems, spatial data creation methods and techniques and spatial product delivery design and production
• Understanding / experience of QA/QC principles and data integrity issues
• Extensive knowledge of municipal government and utility operations
• Ability to implement GIS applications and apply new technologies.
• Ability to automate GIS processes
• Competent in working with surveying data, CAD data, engineering plan and profile drawings, legal documents, registered plans and subdivision plans
• Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
• Excellent report writing skills, knowledge of Microsoft software including Access, Excel, Word and PowerPoint
• Strong sense of aesthetics, attention to detail
• Effective communication skills, both written and verbal
• Excellent interpersonal skills
• Excellent organizational and time management skills
• Ability to work effectively within a group environment or independently
• Ability to work outside regular business hours, as required
• Valid Ontario class “G driver’s license and access to reliable vehicle
• GIS Professional (GISP) Designation is an asset
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com by June 22, 2020
NOTICE TO ALL APPLICANTS:
Confidentiality of all applicants assured. Only those selected for interviews will be contacted and we thank all other applicants for their interest.
The Sault Ste. Marie Innovation Centre welcomes a diverse workforce. As a non-for-profit organization, we are committed to an inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection process and workplace. If you require any accommodations, please notify us and we will work with you to meet your needs.