Village Media: Sootoday
We are looking for a talented, motivated and experienced candidate to fill a full-time Reporter position with SooToday.com, a local news and information website serving Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario.
With 15-million monthly pageviews and two decades of history, SooToday.com is the flagship of Village Media’s rapidly-expanding network of local news websites committed to quality, in-depth community journalism.
Our journalists are driven to find stories that matter to our community and are dedicated to fairness, accuracy and ethics.
The successful candidate for this position is someone who knows how to cover hard news, but also loves to write about people and their passions. They know that a good interview is often a good conversation and know when to ask the tough questions, but also when to listen. The ideal candidate has exceptional writing skills and is willing to put in the extra effort and research to deliver an engaging story. They will also be passionate about their own photography.
Qualifications for this position include:
- Degree or diploma in journalism, or a related field;
- At least 3-5 years of experience as a reporter with experience covering hard news and feature stories;
- The ability to meet tight deadlines and report the news as it happens;
- Superior language, writing and editing skills;
- Strong photography skills;
- Some photography and associated editing software experience;
- Able to work a variety of schedules, including evenings, nights and weekends;
- Excellent critical thinking and problem-solving skills;
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and under pressure;
- A valid driver’s licence and a reliable vehicle;
- Willingness to relocate to Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario
If this sounds like the perfect position for you, we would love to hear from you!
To apply, please submit a cover letter and resume, along with relevant samples of your work to email@example.com
About Village Media:
Village Media operates a number of local news and community websites throughout Ontario. We focus on providing local stories written by local journalists to the communities we serve. In addition to local news, our sites offer weather, events, obituaries, and a wide range of community information. We are proud members of the cities where we operate. We support local events, charitable causes, and recognize our neighbours’ achievements. We’re more than just news: Village Media is all about community.