PART-TIME REGISTERED NURSE JOB VACANCY
ONTARIO NURSES’ ASSOCIATION – LOCAL 46
JOB POSTING #: 004-005-2020
POSITION: Registered Nurse–Geriatric Emergency Management (GEM) – Part Time
UNIT: Geriatric Services
JOB CODE: ON013.2
SHIFT: Shift Work
- The GEM Nurse provides a specialized clinical resource for assessing and treating the frail elderly. His/her focus is on those frail seniors who are at risk of suffering adverse events, loss of independence and admission to hospital or long-term care facilities.
- The GEM nurse provides expert and targeted assessment and treatment services; enhances linkages with hospital and community services and advocates for the frail seniors.
- The GEM nurse is a geriatrics educator and capacity builder within the Emergency Department, the hospital and the community, to ensure that frail seniors at risk receive the right care, in the right place, at the right time.
- To facilitate timely discharge of elderly patients from the ED and to link them to community resources.
- To promote a model of best practice in Elder Care nursing and an elderly friendly philosophy of care within the ED.
- Effective use of the Standards of Nursing Practice and the Nursing Process in assessing, planning, implementing, and evaluating the care of the patient.
- Provides assistance in planning corrective actions to ensure safety for patients and staff.
- Is compliant with legislation, organizational and departmental, regulations, standards and procedures related to occupational health and safety.
- Certificate of Competence from the College of Nurses of Ontario
- Geriatric Resource Nurse Certification or other geriatric education
- Minimum of three years of experience working with frail geriatric patients.
- Minimum of one year completing assessments of geriatric patients.
- Minimum of one year coordinating community services for geriatric patients.
- Advanced level competence, skill and knowledge in frail elderly focused community services
- Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication and presentation skills
- Knowledge in the utilization and care of all mechanical equipment required for patient care.
- Ability to function collaboratively on an interdisciplinary team.
- Demonstrated competency in physical assessment of patients including assisting in patient mobilization.
- Proficiency in a Microsoft environment (Word, Excel and PowerPoint).
- Demonstrated ability to maintain successful working relationships; ability to meet and interact with people in a pleasant, professional, responsible and reassuring manner, both in person and on the telephone; tact, courtesy and alertness in public contacts.
- Demonstrated behaviour consistent with the hospital’s mission statement and ICCARE values.
- Demonstrated behaviour consistent with the Hospital’s mission, vision, and ICCARE values
Note: Because of the changing nature of the work and work to be done, other responsibilities and duties may be assigned and qualifications may be adjusted from time to time. Only those selected for testing/interview will be contacted.
APPLY: Online at www.sah.on.ca/careers
NOTE: Internal applicants, if providing a hardcopy, please complete ONA internal application form.
POSTED: January 3, 2020, 16:00 hours to January 10, 2020, 16:00 hours
SAH is an inclusive employer. Accommodation is available in accordance with the
Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005.
This position is covered by a collective agreement. Applications from outside the bargaining unit are welcome, but can only be considered if the position is not filled from within the bargaining unit.