Algoma Steel Inc.
Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario Canada
Based in Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario, Algoma has a proud history as a leading manufacturer of hot and cold rolled steel sheet and plate products. We are Canada’s only discrete plate producer and one of the lowest-cost producers of hot-rolled sheet steel in North America owing in part to our state-of-the-art Direct Strip Production Complex. Our steel is used in construction, mining, manufacturing, automotive, shipbuilding, and energy sectors including renewable energy and military applications. Today’s steel industry is rapidly evolving and so are we, transitioning to electric arc steelmaking technology that will position Algoma as one of North America’s leading producers of green steel, bringing low-carbon steel products to market, shrinking our environmental footprint, and securing a more sustainable future.
We invite those with a talent and drive for superior performance, who desire to be part of a team of steel industry professionals to apply. Join us as we build on our rich, century-long tradition of delivering quality steel products to our customers, improving the quality of life for our community, and providing rich and rewarding careers for our employees.
* Organizes, coordinates and controls scheduling of manufacturing to ensure ready on time in a most economic manner to meet corporate objectives that comply with the agreed upon operating constraints.
- Prepares schedules for material to be processed in Casting, Rolling and Finishing Mills, considering heat lot requirements, equipment and mill limitations, customer priorities, roll weeks and steelmaking limitations. Seeks appropriate approvals on day operations.
- Coordinates with FLSs and Shift Coordinators of scheduling units to drive and set direction on line up sequence and priorities based on the daily manufacturing plan.
- Revises schedules due to changes in Steelmaking operating levels, mill rolling rates, changes in priorities, rush orders, mill modifications, etc.
- Professionally questions and challenges operating departments to execute the plan in the face of difficult operating conditions.
- Coordinates primary steelmaking plan adjustments with downstream operations.
- Proceeds without approvals on evenings and nights subject to sound judgment, applicable rules, guidelines and past practice.
- Completes providing for orders to specify casting and rolling sizes.
- Makes providing decisions related to order fulfillment strategy overages/shortages.
- Works within SAP to complete production order creation, inventory moves and hold completion. Effectively uses SAP for reporting for scheduling purposes and coordinating with other departments on slow moving inventory.
- Ensures inventory is moving. Progresses slow moving inventory through Finished Goods. Monitor for either business processes or system delays
- Provides feedback on manufacturing scheduling practices with the intent of improving ship on time.
- Analyzes operating data to identify trends and determine appropriate corrective action.
- Responds to priority listings from Customer Service.
- Applies stock steel inventory to orders using judgment for best outcomes including Metallurgical & Operational approval.
- Stays current in Supply Chain Management concepts.
- Analyze and maintain Factory Planner master data (Uptime, Rates, Yields) with appropriate approvals
Core Competencies and Skills Required
- Must have a minimum two (2) year diploma in a Supply Chain, Business or Computer Science discipline
– OR –
- Must have a minimum two (2) year diploma in another field with a minimum two (2) years of related experience
- Excellent computer skills required.
- Experience with SAP or other ERP system; analyzing data, pulling reports, entering data preferred.
- Rolling mill experience in either scheduling or operations. Experience in related supply chain function in manufacturing environment preferred.
- Strong problem solving and decision-making skills as well as the ability to identify and initiate opportunities for improvement.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Experience effectively communicating with leadership personnel in operations to work toward optimal manufacturing solutions.
This is a role in LU2724.
Job Location: Sault Ste. Marie, ON
If you meet the qualifications for this position and are committed to a challenging career with a dynamic company, in a community that offers superior quality of life, we encourage you to apply by December 20, 2022. We offer a competitive salary, profit sharing, an Extended Health Benefits Package and a Defined Contribution Pension Plan.
To apply or to learn more about our company, please visit www.algoma.com
We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage diversity in our workplace. Accommodation is available for applicants with a disability. We thank all applicants for their interest however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted
Job Type: Full-time
Work Location: One location