Sault Area Hospital
JOB POSTING #: 843-1046-2020
POSITION: Occupational Health and Safety Officer – Full-time
UNIT: Human Resources – Safety and Wellness
JOB CODE: NS017.1
RATE: $35.91-43.10 /hr
Are you a champion of best practices in occupational health and safety? Can you lead by example in identifying program needs, promoting accountability and ensuring compliance in a fast paced unionized environment? If so, the Sault Area Hospital has an excellent career opportunity you’ll want to consider.
As the Occupational Health and Safety Officer at Sault Area Hospital, you will provide leadership, expertise, and consultation services to leaders and workers in matters of occupational health, safety and wellness through the development and implementation of effective policy, programs, education and communication contributing to a positive health and safety culture. This role takes the lead on implementing and maintaining all prescribed Health and Safety programs, policies, and procedures to keep workers free of hazards in the workplace. The Health and Safety Officer also focuses on accident and incident prevention by working with leaders and the Joint Health and Safety Committee. To be successful and effective, this role is active in the safety community and a subject matter expert as it relates to safety in the healthcare environment. The use of data and research is critical in ensuring the hospitals’ resources are focused on the right health and safety priorities.
1. Develop and maintain Occupational Health and Safety Policies and Programs
2. Develop and deliver Health and Safety training programs to employees at all levels of the organization
3. Provide consultative services and recommendations regarding occupational health and safety issues to employees at all levels of the organization
4. Provide health and safety guidance and support to leaders
5. Act as the main point of contact for the Ministry of Labour – receive and respond to orders
6. Support, monitor and provide guidance to the Joint Health and Safety Committee
7. Participate in incident investigations and recommend corrective and preventative measures
8. Prepare and analyze organizational statistics related to injury and illness in the workplace and make recommendations for continuous improvement
9. Conduct and/or participate in Safety Audits and Hazard Analysis
10. Deliver safety orientation for new hire employees
11. Collect, analyze and maintain data essential for effective safety programs
12. Act as a health and safety advisor on relevant committees and working groups
13. Support the Manager, Human Resources, Safety and Wellness as required
14. Other duties as assigned.
Staffing and Licensing Requirements:
15. Post secondary degree/diploma in Human Resources or an Occupational Health & Safety related field;
16. Minimum of 3 years of demonstrated experience in a similar role; and
17. Health and Safety Certification considered an asset
Knowledge and Skills:
1. Ability to interpret and apply: Occupational Health and Safety Act, Workplace Safety and Insurance Board Act, Various CSA or ANSI standards, other applicable guidelines or publications.
2. Knowledge of occupational health and safety industry ‘best practices’.
3. Knowledge and experience dealing with the Ministry of Labour.
4. Knowledge of accident and investigation theory.
5. Knowledge of specific health and safety issues that apply in a health care setting.
6. Knowledge and experience in conducting hazard assessments, needs and gap analysis, safety audits.
7. Ability to work effectively and efficiently as a team member in a fast paced environment in stressful situations.
8. Customer service, interpersonal and telephone skills.
9. Computer literacy in a Microsoft environment.
10. Ability to chair and manage multiple committees.
11. Ability to organize time effectively to perform the duties of the position.
12. Ability to meet and interact with people in a pleasant, professional, responsible and reassuring manner.
13. Behaviour consistent with Hospital Mission, Values and Standards of Performance.
14. Ability to read, write and communicate to perform the duties of the position.
15. Ability to compose and present reports to all levels of management.
16. Proficiency in Microsoft Office, Parklane, and Meditech.
Note: Because of the changing nature of the work and work to be done, other responsibilities and duties may be assigned and qualifications may be adjusted from time to time.
To apply for this exciting opportunity, please send a cover letter and resume outlining how your knowledge, experience, and skills are a good fit with the requirements of this position.
Application deadline: 2021-01-14
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: $35.91-$43.10 per hour
How to apply: