Based in Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario, Algoma has a proud history as a leading manufacturer of hot and cold rolled steel sheet and plate products. We are Canada’s only discrete plate producer and one of the lowest-cost producers of hot-rolled sheet steel in North America owing in part to our state-of-the-art Direct Strip Production Complex. Our steel is used in construction, mining, manufacturing, automotive, shipbuilding, and energy sectors including renewable energy and military applications. Today’s steel industry is rapidly evolving and so are we, transitioning to electric arc steelmaking technology that will position Algoma as one of North America’s leading producers of green steel, bringing low-carbon steel products to market, shrinking our environmental footprint, and securing a more sustainable future.
We invite those with a talent and drive for superior performance, who desire to be part of a team of steel industry professionals to apply. Join us as we build on our rich, century-long tradition of delivering quality steel products to our customers, improving the quality of life for our community, and providing rich and rewarding careers for our employees.
A Place to Call Home
Algoma Steel takes great pride in preserving the high quality of life offered by the Sault – a vibrant and beautiful city that’s surrounded by stunning natural scenery. With its affordable housing, impressive work/life balance, proximity to the US, and lack of commute times, It’s the perfect place to raise a family and call home.
For more information on living and working in Sault Ste. Marie visit www.welcometossm.com.
- Develop and implement technical solutions to support the maintenance and operation of mill equipment.
- Manage capex and opex projects by preparing technical documents, bid specifications, EARs, cost estimation and tracking, development and adherence to project timelines during execution.
- Manage contractors or internal workers to support both projects and maintenance activities as required including health and safety management.
- Provide technical direction/supervision to internal tradesmen and external contractors as required.
- Perform vacation or FLS replacement duties as required.
- Develop/maintain risk assessment for mechanical equipment.
- Perform root cause analysis and implement corrective actions on mechanical equipment failures.
- Maintain and understand the ‘health’ of critical mechanical equipment.
- Develop and ensure effective equipment monitoring on critical equipment through oil analysis, vibration and other condition monitoring techniques.
- Create SAP BOMs, hierarchy, mtce plans and procedures for new equipment installations.
- Develop work procedures and plans for major repairs.
- Provide area support for projects and construction groups as required for new equipment and construction.
- Evaluate technical aspects of proposals, perform KTI analysis.
- Respond to mill breakdown situations when required.
- Role requires frequent visits to mill locations and inspection of equipment or facilities.
- Climbing of ladders, stairs and/or working at heights and in confined spaces will be involved.
- Overtime and night shifts may be occasionally required during downtime, major repairs, major equipment breakdown.
- Attend technical and professional courses and seminars as required.
- Must have a minimum of a 3-year Mechanical Technologist Degree/Diploma plus a minimum of 3 years practical experience in a Maintenance field.
- Must have SAP experience
- Should be knowledgeable of the Steelmaking/Slabcaster production process.
- Have a working knowledge of the Occupational Health & Safety Act along with Algoma’s Health and Safety Program.
- Should be competent in both PC and mainframe based computer environments,
- Should have proven technical problem solving abilities providing both analysis and resolution.
- Should have excellent communication organization and leadership skills,
- Should initiate and have knowledge relating to Industry Standard Maintenance Practices.
- Should ensure/initiate that the Department keeps up to date with evolving Maintenance practices and Technological changes.
Algoma offers a competitive salary, an extended health benefits package, a defined contribution pension plan and profit sharing.
If you meet the qualifications for this position and are committed to a challenging career with a dynamic company, in a community that offers superior quality of life, we encourage you to apply today.
To learn more about our company or to apply, please visit www.algoma.com
We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage diversity in our workplace. Accommodation is available for applicants with a disability. We thank all applicants for their interest however, only those candidates that are selected for an interview will be contacted.