As a proud part of our community, Superior Media is the fastest growing online media source for local and national news, feel good stories, events and a variety of other happenings in our Naturally Gifted area. Our online platform SaultOnline.com, its sister website myAlgoma.ca and ONNtv, one of Canada’s first local television stations to stream a traditional linear broadcast OTT. We are continuously evolving to better serve both viewers and our clients alike, driven by a team who has a passion to increase exposure and dialog for a wide spectrum of local organizations, talent and individuals.
We are seeking a skilled, multi-platform Indigenous storyteller with exceptional shooting and editing skills to help tell the stories from across the Algoma District. The successful candidate will also be a creative thinker who doesn’t hesitate to bring original ideas and treatments to their stories.
As an Indigenous reporter, you would be responsible for covering story topics such as:
- band council campaigns, elections, meetings, etc.
- First Nations issues; land claims, heath and welfare, education, economic development
- provincial/federal legal challenges and rulings
- community events and celebrations
- elder teachings; language, cultural and historical preservation
- highlighting individuals who make a difference in communities
Under the general direction of the Executive Producer or delegate, you will complete tasks and assignments independently or as part of a team to research, gather, package and present media for our digital platforms. Work must adhere to Superior Media’s policies, standards and practices but there is latitude for initiative, independent judgment and creativity. You will be required to work a variety of shifts, which may include weekends and evenings, often independently and without supervision.
- Develops and maintains contacts with a variety of sources to ensure current knowledge of stories, issues and events which are relevant to the objectives of our platforms.
- Gathers information from various sources.
- Analyses facts and information gathered and draws conclusions or raises issues requiring further investigation.
- Arranges and conducts interviews.
- Decides which elements should be included in an item, their order, length and sequence, as well as the method of transition from one element to another.
- Develops shot list and sequences that contribute to the focus and mood of the story.
- Prepares, aligns, sets up and operates both still and video cameras and ancillary equipment, ensuring optimal audio, video, lighting and technical quality.
- Ensures that the material produced meets the technical and aesthetic requirements for editing.
- Edits recorded items on appropriate/available editing systems.
- Prepares and writes scripts, continuity and headlines.
- Reports the story, either on camera or in voice-over form.
- Writing and editing for digital platforms.
- Packaging photos, video and audio for digital platforms.
- Drives a motor vehicle in the performance of the job.
What We’re Looking For
- Graduation from University or Community College in a relevant course of study or equivalent industry experience.
- Comfortable and dynamic on-camera presence.
- Excellent interviewing and storytelling skills.
- Ability to write clearly and concisely.
- Ability to generate original story ideas and creative treatments.
- Ability to work flexible hours.
- Ability to work in a high-pressure, tight deadline multi-platform environment, often in unexpected situations.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Relevant experience in shooting and editing.
- Highly creative imaginative, problem solver and motivated self-starter.
- A natural interest and curiosity in current and emerging technologies and how they can support mobile/digital journalism.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work as part of a team.
If you’re someone who is driven by results in a team environment, we want to talk to you!
To be considered for this position, you can apply with Resume and Cover Letter by email or online by visiting https://saultonline.com/career-opportunities/. We would like to thank all applicants however only qualified candidates will be contacted for an interview.
Superior Media offers a competitive salary based on candidate skills and experience, including company and individual performance based bonuses for this full-time position.
CONFIDENTIALITY ASSURED FOR ALL APPLICANTS.
Contract length: 12 months
Application Deadline: 2021-01-22
Expected Start Date: 2021-02-01
Job Types: Full-time, Contract
Salary: $40,000.00 per year
We are following strict public health guidelines to ensure the ongoing safety of our entire team. In-person interviews are suspending during the pandemic with alternate means of conducting interviews such as virtually highly encouraged.
How to apply: