The Human Resources Assistant provides human resources services that support a variety of programs including but not limited to compensation and benefits, recruitment and onboarding, HRIS database administration, labour relations, employee recognition and communication. This position reports to the Director of HR and requires good judgement, common sense, exceptional attention to detail, adaptability, in addition to an ability to work under very challenging time constraints and conditions due to various priorities within HR. This position requires a high degree of confidentiality and is expected to act as a visible contributor to a positive, healthy and progressive workplace culture.
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS REQUIRED:
WHAT YOU’LL DO:
A) Hiring, Selection and Onboarding
- Administer the recruitment process including but not limited to job postings, resume retention, screening and shortlisting, interviewing and testing; employment background checks and preparation of employment letters.
- Establish and maintain electronic recruitment records, including recruitment files and tests along with general hiring and selection files for all Staff and Administration recruitment.
- Enter personnel changes to applicable systems and prepare administrative reports, i.e. new hires, transfers and terminations.
- Prepare all new employee orientation packages.
- Prepare Admin and Staff offer letters and coordinate onboarding of new hires.
- Track hires, including casuals, limited term, temporary replacements, and permanent employees.
B) Compensation, Job evaluation and Benefits
- Participate/sit as HR representative on Joint Job Classification Committee (JJCC).
- Maintain and format current and historical records of staff/admin job descriptions.
- Monthly reporting and calculation for scheduled compensation increases (i.e. step increases, evaluation and re-evaluation, retroactive salary payments and salary changes as necessary.
- Review of job descriptions and coordinate evaluation/re-evaluation process to determine compensation for Support Staff positions requiring evaluation.
- Calculate and prepare University annual salary budget under the direction of HR Director.
- Research data on current salary and benefit trends within the post-secondary sector for external wage evaluation/comparison on request
- Benefits administration – contract maintenance, audit of monthly premiums, etc.
- Administer employee benefit programs; track sick leave, overtime, vacation (HRIS – records maintenance) for attendance management purposes.
- Assist employees with inquiries related to the Employee Assistance Program (EAP).
- Act as a resource for inquiries from the Payroll Office as required
- Maintain and distribute Seniority Listings (Staff) as per OSSTF CBA
- Tracking sick leave, overtime, vacation – Review for trends
- Maintain current log on employee benefits with legislative requirements for employee benefits.
C) Human Resources Information System (HRIS)
- Develop and maintain an effective HRIS system which includes information on sick leave, vacation, attendance, and overtime accrual, confidential employee information and records, emergency contacts, skills analyses, and salary information
- Develop and maintain records/databases, track data, provide trend analysis and compile statistics; compile reports for key performance indicators related to human resources and labour relations
- Form queries and draw reports from system upon request
- Develop and maintain process documents for key system functions
D) Employee Recognition and Communications
- Develop materials; arrange format and content for effective presentation of information.
- Assists with HR communication memos, newsletter articles and HR announcements..
- Oversee HR section of the public website
- Develop and maintain a functional and useful HR section of intranet.
- Develop and analyze HR surveys
- Support the HR department and Employee Relations officer with employee recognition events, inter-department initiative, wellness initiatives and other employee events.
E) Other Duties
- Participate/sit as HR representative on various committees, including the Joint Consultative Committee (Staff), Joint Health and Safety Committee (JHSC), Employee Recognition Committee.
- Complete International recruitment processes as required
- Support labour relations and HR services in Sault Ste Marie and other campuses.
- Ability to work with, and adapt successfully to shifting priorities, variations in work schedules, locations and/or tasks and respond to changing procedures, technology and/or policies in a positive, appropriate manner
- Ability to complete multiple tasks while dealing with frequent interruptions and tight timelines.
- Ability to travel
WHAT YOU’LL NEED:
- University degree in a related area with 1 or more years of Human Resources or related experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Experience in payroll, compensation and benefits administration is an asset
- Excellent use of technology for collaboration (excellent use of Microsoft Excel or google sheets is an asset)
- Strong computer skills, including Microsoft applications; G-Suite knowledge preferred
- Experience setting goals and objectives, coordination, and planning in a fast-paced working environment
- Ability to develop budgets and implement corresponding work plans that are Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic, and Timely (SMART)
- Highly motivated, efficient team player with excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Analytical and research skills; accuracy and attention to detail.
- Innovative, supportive, highly driven and attention to detail.
- Strong work ethic and ability to communicate to all levels of the organization.
- Dedicated self-starter, ability to work well under pressure and deadlines
- Excellent time management, organization, and research skills
- Ability to work effectively with people having diverse backgrounds, styles and abilities
- Ability to speak multiple languages is an asset
- Good knowledge of Algoma University’s mandate, policies and procedures
HOW TO APPLY:
Please send a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. This job will be posted until suitable candidates are found. We thank all candidates for their applications, however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
This position is open to all qualified applicants, although preference will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada.
Algoma University is committed to an inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection process and workplace. If you require any accommodations, please notify us and we will work with you to meet your needs.