The Human Resources Admin Assistant provides human resources services that support the day-to-day administrative needs of the HR team. The incumbent ensures the needs of the office and employees are met in a timely manner. This position requires good judgement, common sense, exceptional attention to detail, adaptability, and an ability to work under challenging time constraints and conditions due to various priorities within HR. This position is expected to act as a visible contributor to a positive, healthy and progressive workplace culture.
This role is a full time, 2-year limited term position, that comes with a comprehensive 24-month HR mentorship program that allows the incumbent to gain experience, apply knowledge, achieve evidence-based results; explore HR innovation and research, in addition to accepting the challenge of working successfully with a diverse university population.
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS REQUIRED:
WHAT YOU’LL DO:
A) General Administrative Assistance
- Provide support to the HR team as required and direct individuals to the appropriate parties when necessary.
- Perform administrative and analytical functions relating to matters of personnel, and general human resources matters, e.g. offer letters and hiring arrangements.
- Supports records management (hard copy and electronic), including the creation of new files when projects/initiatives are started, as well as the requesting of, and contributing to, current files.
- Support research and analysis for various human resources initiatives to ensure compliance with legislative requirements e.g. Employment Equity, Accessibility for Ontarians With Disabilities Act (AODA)
- Coordinates and organized meetings and events as required including logistics/securing meeting space, document preparation etc.
- Provide database administration by, receiving, sort and distributing correspondence regularly. In addition, respond to inquiries made in person or by telephone or email from all employees.
- Assist with benefits administration as required.
- Assist with training & development, including record keeping and follow-up for compliance.
- Develop materials; arrange format and content for effective presentation of information.
B) HR Services Support
- Assist with the administration of Hiring, Selection, Onboarding and labour relations matters for all employees.
- Assist with data management, including absence, overtime tracking and analysis.
- Assist with policy/program development and review.
- Enter onboarding data in training management database/HRIS.
- Establishes and maintains computer records, including recruitment files and tests along with general hiring and selection files
- Prepares recruitment and selection materials as well as application and new employee orientation packages.
- Ensures that job announcements are posted and logged; compiles necessary statistics for each recruitment initiative.
- Distributes application packages to selection committee members and assists with routine recruitment related questions.
- Enters personnel changes and prepares administrative reports
- Assist with Health & Safety items which include:
*projects tied to hazards and H&S strategy (WHMIS etc.)
*First Aid Kit inspections, Coordination and recording of workplace inspections
*Assist with JHSC Meetings (Agendas/Minutes)
C) Human Resources Information Systems
- Assist with Human Resources Information System administration and maintenance.
- Research and support analysis for various human resources and safety initiatives including policy, training, HR analytics etc.
- Maintain an effective HRIS system which includes information on sick leave, vacation, attendance, and overtime accrual; maintains confidential employee information and records.
- Maintains an accurate employee database.
D) Other duties
- Supports HR communication memos, newsletter articles and HR announcements.
- Incumbent may be expected to perform other job-related duties other than those contained in this description.
- Ability to complete multiple tasks while dealing with frequent interruptions and tight timelines.
- Ability to work with, and adapt successfully to, shifting priorities, variations in work schedules, locations and/or tasks and respond to changing procedures, technology and/or policies in a positive, appropriate manner.
WHAT YOU’LL NEED:
- University degree in Business Administration and/or Human Resources. Graduate of Algoma University’s BBA, Human Resources program an asset.
- Excellent use of technology for collaboration; Strong computer skills, including Microsoft applications; G-Suite knowledge preferred.
- Rigorous analytical and research skills.
- Innovative, supportive, highly driven and attention to detail.
- Ability to communicate to all levels of organization.
- Dedicated self-starter, ability to work well under pressure and deadlines.
- Excellent time management and organizational skills.
- Highly motivated, efficient team player who can provide comprehensive administrative support.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please send a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. This job will be posted until suitable candidates are found. We thank all candidates for their applications, however only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
This position is open to all qualified applicants, although preference will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada.
Algoma University is committed to an inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection process and workplace. If you require any accommodations, please notify us and we will work with you to meet your needs.