For over a century Algoma has a proud history and strong traditions of being an industry leading manufacturer of hot and cold rolled sheet steels in carbon and high strength low-alloy grades and we are Canada’s only plate producer. We are integral to the making of many of our modern day buildings, products and appliances. Our steel is used in construction, mining, manufacturing, automotive, shipbuilding, energy resources including renewable energy and military applications throughout North America. Today’s steel industry is rapidly evolving and so are we, bringing new products to market that our customers need for their success. We are inviting everyone who has a talent and drive for superior performance, a desire to be part of a team of steel industry professionals focused on transforming our company to continue our century long tradition of delivering high quality steel products to our customers, improving the quality of life for our community, demonstrating industry-leading environmental stewardship and providing rich and rewarding careers for our employees.
The role will involve working in various departments throughout the facility in developmental roles. At the end of the rotation, placement in a specific role will be based on the overall fit with the role.
- Focus on longer-term chronic problems and/or improvement objectives
- Support the operating and maintenance group in achieving their annual product and process improvement objectives.
- Lead / participate in cross-functional or cross departmental process or equipment improvement teams to achieve step changes
- Lead / participate in process or equipment improvement teams in customer plants to resolve quality issues.
- Participation in operations or maintenance problem solving teams, including assisting in field trouble shooting activities.
- Recommend and implement new analytical tools.
- Explore, recommend and drive new technologies
- Achieve step improvements in Productivity, Quality, Reliability, and Cost
- Conduct Process Modeling and Simulation
- Conduct capability studies at the Department level
- Resolve major delays and reliability issues using formal root cause analysis or other analytical techniques
- Apply predictive and condition based techniques and procedures to resolve equipment reliability issues
- Lead / assist in the functional design / redesign of equipment systems.
- Lead / assist in the selection, benefits, procurement, and installation of new equipment systems and components.
- Drive redesign / upgrade of existing equipment/components – reliability/life
- Provide technical assistance regarding installed equipment selection, acceptance, operation, maintenance
Core Competencies and Skills Required
- Must have a four (4) year degree in Electrical Engineering from an accredited University.
- Eligibility to become a Professional Engineer (P. Eng) in Ontario is an asset.
- Possess keen analytical and problem solving skills.
- Advanced computer skills is a definite asset
- Good organizational and communication skills
- Strong project management and technical leadership skills
- Good people and team skills
If you meet the qualifications for this position and are committed to a challenging career with a dynamic company, in a community that offers superior quality of life, we encourage you to apply by March 16, 2020.
To apply or to learn more about our company, please visit www.algoma.com.
We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage diversity in our workplace. Accommodation is available for applicants with a disability. We thank all applicants for their interest however, only those candidates that are selected for an interview will be contacted.