Sault Ste. Marie Innovation Centre
POST DATE: July 13, 2021
CLOSING DATE: July 26, 2021
TYPE OF EMPLOYMENT: Permanent
HOW TO APPLY:
Please submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org, or Sault Ste. Marie Innovation Centre, 99 Foster Drive, Level Six, Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario, P6A 5X6
The Sault Ste. Marie Innovation Centre’s Acorn Information Solutions department is seeking a GIS Technician / Analyst.
The position will report to the ACORN Manager of Municipal and Utilities Projects and will assist in data gap analysis, spatial and attribute data correction, data capture and data maintenance for water, wastewater, transportation and other municipal and utility data sets.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Prepare, maintain, update, convert and analyze digital spatial data and associated databases related to municipal and utility GIS solutions
- Perform QA/QC tasks to ensure GIS data integrity
- Liaise with municipal and utility staff or external consultants to capture, convert and maintain data and perform custom data analysis, provide map products and deliver user training and user support
- Researching, acquiring and processing data to create reports, charts and maps
- Creating aesthetically-pleasing, easy to read maps for use in reports and presentations
- Creating and maintaining spatial and tabular information using a variety of software
- Performing spatial analysis and geoprocessing tasks
- Developing process automations to improve efficiencies in data capture and analysis
- Develop process documentation including standard operation procedures, processes, workflows, queries and GIS product development
- Stay current with GIS data management and GIS technologies and skills
- Writing and editing professional reports for clients
- Creating and administering presentations
- Work with internal staff and external clients to develop mapping and/or data focused projects
- Assist to scope project efforts
- Assist with data standards
- Any other duties or special assignments as requested by the reporting Supervisor
SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS:
- Experience in municipal and utilities GIS including water, wastewater, electric, transportation, land base, public works, engineering, planning and administration data would be an asset.
- Bachelor’s degree in Geography, Computer Science, Engineering or Planning with a GIS specialization or post-graduate certificate in GIS
- Knowledge of GIS principles and use of ESRI’s software, particularly tools related to creating and editing municipal and utilities data
- Experience with ESRI geometric networks
- Demonstrated skills in spatial and non-spatial data management
- Solid understanding of cartographic principles and visual communication through mapping
- Knowledge of relational database systems, spatial data creation methods and techniques and spatial product delivery design and production
- Understanding / experience of QA/QC principles and data integrity issues
- Knowledge of municipal government and utility operations would be an asset
- Ability to implement GIS applications and apply new technologies.
- Ability to automate GIS processes
- Competent in working with surveying data, CAD data, engineering plan and profile drawings, legal documents, registered plans and subdivision plans would be an asset.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Excellent report writing skills, knowledge of Microsoft software including Access, Excel, Word and PowerPoint
- Strong sense of aesthetics, attention to detail
- Effective communication skills, both written and verbal
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Ability to work effectively within a group environment or independently
- Ability to work outside regular business hours, as required
Why choose employment in Sault Ste. Marie?
Located at the heart of the Great Lakes, Sault Ste. Marie is a beautiful waterfront city with a population of approximately 75,000. “The Sault” is rich in history, culture and adventure, boasting unmatched world class outdoor experiences throughout all four seasons. The bustling art sectors, museums, natural environment and numerous local eateries, set our city apart. Summer and winter festivals are celebrated in a safe and affordable place to live. With easy commute times from home to work, and high quality, vibrant lifestyles, Sault Ste. Marie provides a “home” experience with endless opportunities to discover.
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com by July 26, 2021
Sault Ste. Marie Innovation Centre
99 Foster Drive, Level Six