Algoma Power Inc. is an electric distribution company that serves approximately 12,000 customers in the District of Algoma with over more than 1,800 kilometers of distribution lines in an area that covers approximately 14,200 square kilometers. Algoma Power Inc. is a subsidiary of FortisOntario Inc. (“FortisOntario”) which is headquartered in Fort Erie and has operations in electricity transmission and distribution primarily located in Fort Erie, Port Colborne, Cornwall, Gananoque and the District of Algoma. FortisOntario is the only investor-owned electric distribution utility in Ontario and is a wholly owned subsidiary of Fortis Inc. (“Fortis”). Fortis is the largest investor-owned distribution utility in Canada. Algoma Power Inc. currently has an exciting and challenging opportunity working out of our Sault Ste. Marie location for an:
ELECTRICAL / METER TRADE TECHNICIAN
Under the general direction of the Supervisor or delegate, the Electrical / Meter Trade Technician will be responsible to perform installation, operation, inspection, troubleshooting, maintenance and repair work on a variety of electrical equipment and controls including, but not limited to, substations; as well as all types of electric revenue meters and associated equipment. Duties also include customer service assignments and underground plant locates. The Electrical/ Meter Trade Technician must be capable of identifying workplace hazards and be able to utilize all reasonable barriers to ensure safe work performance.
The main duties and responsibilities include:
- Prepare job safety plan
- Perform high voltage switching, transformer inspections, testing, troubleshooting and maintenance
- Construction, operation, inspection, testing, troubleshooting and maintenance as required on electrical equipment, associated relay systems and associated interconnections
- Construction, operation, inspection, testing, troubleshooting and maintenance as required on communication, surveillance and security equipment, revenue meters and associated communication systems
- Maintenance and repairs on station structures, building structures, HVAC and auxiliary wiring
- Perform duties pertaining to oil handling and testing
- Hoisting operations
- Maintain fences, gates and station grounds
- Assist to perform load analysis for customers
- Perform in service checks, troubleshooting, testing and verifications of transformer rated meter installations and associated communication systems
- Create, update and maintain company records as required
- Other duties as required
The ideal candidate will have the following skills and qualifications:
- Certification as a Meter Technician having successfully completed specialized training with the MEARIE Group or equivalent
- Certification as a Substation Electrician having successfully completed specialized training with the MEARIE Group or equivalent
- Post graduate from an Electrical or Electronic Engineering Technology program
- 309A Electrician Journeyperson status
- Good working knowledge electrical distribution systems, the Utility Work Protection Code and its application
- Excellent working knowledge of all applicable Provincial Safety Regulations, Provincial Environmental Regulations, IHSA Electrical and Utility Safety Rules and Safe Practice Guides.
- Current certification in First Aid, CPR and WHMIS
- Must have the ability to interpret documentation pertinent to the work (e.g. drawings, prints, sketches, operating diagrams, work protection documents, instructions, etc.)
- Demonstrate the willingness to update skills as technology changes, system changes, or responsibilities require
- Must possess and maintain a valid Class “G” Driver’s License with a clean driver’s abstract
- Must be able to fulfill ‘on-call’ responsibilities
- Strong computer skills including Microsoft Office applications (specifically Excel)
- Good oral communication and report writing skills
- Must possess a strong customer service orientation and have excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Establish and maintain an effective working relationship with internal/external customers and industry partners
Algoma Power Inc. is offering this full-time opportunity with an attractive compensation and benefits package and pension plan.
Qualified and interested candidates are invited to submit their cover letter and resume to HR@FortisOntario.com by 4:00PM on JUNE 26, 2020.
Please indicate “API – ELECTRICAL / METER TRADE TECHNICIAN” in the subject line.
We thank all respondents but we will only contact those selected for an interview.
Algoma Power Inc. is committed to accommodating applicants with disabilities and will provide accommodation when requested
Algoma Power Inc. is an inclusive employer and committed to Accessibility