POSTING DATE: August 7, 2019
CLOSING DATE: September 4, 2019
The Sault Ste. Marie Public Library is seeking a CEO with a proven track record, eager to build upon the solid foundation of a valued library system. A medium-sized public library we serve the residents of Sault Ste. Marie and surrounding townships that contract for library services. Located in beautiful Northern Ontario, at the heart of the Great Lakes and bordering on Michigan, this waterfront community of 75,000 has all the amenities of a regional urban centre with the breathtaking beauty of the Algoma region at its doorstep.
The Sault Ste. Marie Public Library system has an annual operating budget of $3.3 million, three branch locations, and employs 40 FTE staff in a unionized environment. The library is highly regarded in the community; enjoys a very good working relationship with the municipality; has an active Friends group and a strong volunteer program. The third branch which opens later this year includes a new archive. More information about the Ste. Marie Public Library is available at www.ssmpl.ca.
CEO Position Description:
MLS from an ALA-accredited library education program is preferred, or equivalent degree with relevant skills in administration, budgeting, and planning. The Sault Ste. Marie Public Library seeks a politically savvy leader who excels in collaboration, written and verbal communication, grant writing and advocacy.
The ideal candidate will bring demonstrated experience in leading change management, a passion for community centered library services and for building relationships with internal and external stakeholders. The Board is seeking an individual who has excellent verbal and written communication skills, the proven ability to team build and provide staff development and the ability to effectively manage multiple priorities in a timely manner.
- Advise the Board on policies that will achieve the goals and objectives of the library to meet the needs of the community
- Implement policies ensuring the provision of exceptional library service to the community
- Manage effectively in a unionized workplace
- Oversee programs and services working with staff to provide exceptional library service to the community while exercising responsible management of available resources
- Engage in effective relationships with external stakeholders including City staff and council
- Manage, development and evaluation of staff
- Direct financial administration, preparing annual budgets and financial reports
- Represent the library within the local and library communities
The position offers a competitive salary and benefits package. A complete job description and a community profile is available on the Sault Ste. Marie Public Library website. www.ssmpl.ca.
Please provide your resume and cover letter no later than September 4, 2019 at 3:00pm.
Attn: Chair Elspeth Belair, email@example.com
Questions may be directed to the Selection Committee at firstname.lastname@example.org
The Sault Ste Marie Public Library supports the principles of the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). Pursuant to AODA requirements, accommodations for disabilities are available to applicants who are invited to an interview and who request individual accommodation during the recruitment process.
We thank all applicants for their interest, but only those considered for an interview will be contacted.