Village Media is searching for an experienced individual to fill a full-time position on the Central News Desk team that serves our rapidly-growing local news and information network.
As an Assistant Editor you will be responsible for monitoring for breaking local, regional and national news, writing headlines, creating posts and administering polls for multiple community news sites across the Village Media network.
The ideal candidate for this position is someone who has excellent news judgment and thrives in a fast-paced environment:
- A degree or diploma in journalism, or a related field;
- At least 3-5 years experience as a skilled copy editor in a newsroom;
- A thorough knowledge of CP style;
- Superior language, writing and editing skills;
- Some photo editing and associated editing software experience;
- Excellent critical thinking and problem-solving skills;
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, with shifting priorities, changing deadlines, and under pressure;
- Willingness to relocate to Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario
If this sounds like the perfect position for you, we would love to hear from you!
To apply, please submit a cover letter and resume, along with relevant samples of your work.
About Village Media:
Village Media is an ever-expanding network of local news and community websites. We focus on providing local stories written by local journalists in the communities we serve. In addition to local news, our sites offer weather, events, obituaries and a wide range of community information. We are proud members of the cities where we operate. We support local events and charitable causes and recognize our neighbours’ achievements. We are more than just news: Village Media is all about community.
Village Media is committed to advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion among our staff, volunteers, programs, and partners. We encourage applicants of diverse abilities, backgrounds, and life experiences to apply. If you require accommodations during the selection process, please contact email@example.com.